Monday, October 29, 2012

Walking Dead: Season Three Episode Three Review

I really enjoyed this episode, in fact, I have immensely enjoyed all of this seasons episodes, which pretty much defecate upon nearly all of last seasons emotionally boring and action-less episodes. I can say with one hundred percent certainty, that season three of the Walking Dead has been the best season so far. The reason for this; the episodes are dynamic, they hit multiple highs and lows and transition nearly seamlessly from tense emotional or dramatic scenes into gory action sequences

This weeks episode is another great example, however it sacrifices greater quantities of action for a more mysterious and foreboding vibe around the newly found utopia of Woodbury and its leader, The Governor; and at the end of the episode,the audience discovers has some seriously weird collectors items
"Nah guys, this bro definitely isn't a psychopath."

This episode centers around the character Andrea and Michonne instead of the usual crew, which is a nice change of faces and situation. In the beginning of the episode, they investigate go to investigate a helicopter crash site, but once they arrive, The Governor and his goons arrive as well, beginning to methodically pick apart the crash for anything valuable and save the one survivor. Andrea and Michonne are about to leave the scene, when they are discovered by Meryl, a former character of the first season who is now working for The Governor. They are then taken to the utopia of Woodbury, where zombies are pretty much a non-factor due to the walls surrounding the town. Andrea revels in this new safety, but Michonne has trouble adapting, as she feels it is too good to be true and is deprived of the one thing that makes her feel safe, her katana. That's the basic overview of the beginning of the episode and now I am going to get into my true review.

I found this episode very refreshing, in the sense that one may find a glass of their favorite drink more refreshing than a glass of ice cold water. I make this juxtaposition because I want to be clear that I found that I was just as emotionally invested with the previous episodes as I was with this one, the only difference being that I was eager to see what Michonne and Andrea were up to and this episode delivered. 
I liked the feel The Governor, whose mannerisms and outward behavior made them seem kind and sympathetic, but his darker underside was just barely palpable, and I could tell that The Governor and Woodbury were hiding some dark secrets, some of which were revealed in this episode, such as The Governor's true nature, but others were left in the dark.
Additionally, Woodbury proved to be a well constructed environment in regard to its ability to really set the mysterious and foreboding tone of this episode through its ominous vibe. While watching the episodes I wondered, " Are those walls really just to keep the zombies out, or are they also to keep the people in?", and after completing the episode, I decided that both were true.

The acting, pacing, and action in the episode were also spot on so I don't feel the need to go into any detail on those aspects, but the conglomeration of all the great qualities of this episode have made me inclined to give it a 5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment